Templates with fanart background

Talk about anything concerning TViXiE.

Templates with fanart background

Postby coolstream » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:09 pm

People have been asking if it is possible to have a template that automatically incorporates fanart as a template. I can confirm that this is possible and provide the solution here.

To begin with, you can edit your favourite template and create a new one that will do this for you. Once you become confident, you can begin to create your own.

The method involves the concept of creating fanart for the background and importantly, the use of a variable introduced in TViXiE in July of this year %TITLEPATH%.

Creating the template
The 'magic' involves replacing the background image variable with a new variable
In your old template, the item relating to the background image would look something like
SourceFile.........%PATH%\background.jpg

Change this to...
SourceFile.........%TITLEPATH%\fanart.jpg (i.e. the file fanart.jpg in your movie folder)

Using your new template:

Part 1
Firstly, use a site like themoviedb.org (TMDb) and enter the movie name in the grey box at top right-hand side. You will be presented with an image. To see more, select VIEW ALL. Click on the one you like and then DOWNLOAD jpg. This will open the image.
Right click and select COPY.
Open your favourite image editor and PASTE the copied image.
Now resize the image to 1280x720 and save it as fanart.jpg in the folder that contains your movie.
Part 2
Open TViXiE and run it on all folders that contain fanart.
Use your newly created template.
TViXiE will run just as it has always done, but each folder will now create tvix.jpg that incorporates your fanart.
Once done, you can safely delete fanart.jpg if you wish!

:!: ADDITIONAL NOTE: :!:
If you have run TViXiE on your folders already and have retained the front_cover.tvixie and MovieInfo.tvixie files, you do not need to go online and search again. Instead, highlight the folders you wish to update, and simply Right Click and select | Movie Information | Set Template | and select the template you wish to use ;)

I think this opens up way to make for new and interesting templates and certainly answers the questions that have been asked in other threads.

If you wish to test this, I have modified one of the templates from the TViXiE-XMBC-Templates set for all to test.

Good Luck and let's see some new templates and ideas! :)

Any questions or follow up, post here...

Edit: Title in the TViXiE-XMBC link changed to prevent confusion.
If there is interest, I might modify them all.
Attachments
BLURAY 1080p 6CH.rar
BLURAY 1080p 6CH (modified)
(1011 Bytes) Downloaded 339 times
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Share On:

Re: Templates with fanart background

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks again, coolstream! This is very helpful... and just what I was looking for (short of Tvixie pulling the fan art on it's own of course ;)). If I have time after work tonight, I'm gonna work on a nice template. Or try to at least.
Mike

Postby coolstream » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks Mike for the comments and for posing the question that initially got me thinking about it.

I hope you find my instructions easy enough to follow. The downloadable template should prove an example to see the coding in place and from it, you should be easily able to CUT and PASTE into your own template.

Creating a new template from scratch will take some time until you get things just right, but I wish you best of luck! ;)
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Postby coolstream » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:09 pm

I have now released PEGGIE my own template incorporating fanart and a few 'improvements' ;)
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Postby Axel Foley » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:26 pm

It would be great if Tvixie downloaded fanart automatically and converted it to the right size then saved the fanart.jpg file in the movie folder. ;)

I don't know if it has already been requested...I don't think it's even too difficult to implement...:)
Axel Foley

Postby coolstream » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:34 am

That would indeed be a dream come true. Have you made it an official request yet?
Welcome back to TViXiE!
coolstream

Return to General Discussion